Sunday, 4 March 2012

Differing results

So now we have this BVH file. I decided to try this file with a couple of softwares to see how they translated. I have 3DSMax 2012, Daz Studio 4 and access to Maya 2012.

Max is available for a trial period, or purchasable for £3,442 (woah, pricey) or free (I think) for a student version from here http://store.autodesk.co.uk/store/adsk/en_GB/DisplayHomePage

Maya is also an Autodesk product so you'll be able to find it in the same place.

Daz is currently free at http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d/free-3d-software-overview?home_f_btn=start for a limited time. So is Bryce and Hexagon. Just add them to your basket, along with any other free stuff you can find on the site, make an account, (No credit card details needed) and 'purchase'. Then you are ready to go.

Here is my iPi mocap. See how at the end of the motion, during the big swing, his arms and leg gets lost in the video so iPi made up the action.


Opening up 3Ds max, I created a Biped an imported the BVH onto the Biped. If I play the animation now, you'll see it works pretty well apart from the bit at the end where the data messed up.



From another angle, we can see the extent of the damage

It's not too bad. I can edit that so it's useable.

DAZ on the other hand. That is a whole new kettle of fish. Daz rigs have a crazy number of control points. The whole body is rigged pretty close to a real human. I imported the BVH onto a quickly made default 'Genesis' character and laughed myself silly.


And from the other angle, it's still just as funny


Yeah. The limited rig of iPi is NOT suited for Daz. Not yet.

I'm testing this at home so I have to access to Maya. When I get back to Uni, I'll post my Maya results. As I am at the start of my project, the other members haven't progressed in their modeling enough for me to use their models to rig. Instead, I'll just record my bits I need for the project... A bunch of people milling around and talking, throwing feed out of a basket for chickens and a child running about (I'll get my sister to do that bit for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment